Cops end firebomb attack probe on Tory councillor targeted in gangland vendetta

A Tory councillor whose family home was firebombed in a terrifying attack has been told police have closed their investigation into the incident.

Graeme Campbell, who had spoken out against gangsters, was targeted in the dead of night at his property in Strathaven, Lanarkshire.

A window of his wife’s £45,000 BMW X2 was smashed before it was doused in flammable liquid and torched.

Firefighters tackle the blaze at Councillor Graeme Campbell’s home in Strathaven (Image: East Kilbride News)

The firebombing was widely condemned as an attack on democracy and the matter was raised in Holyrood at First Minister’s Questions.

At the time, Graeme lambasted South Lanarkshire Council for failing to take action against people he believed to be terrorising others in the area.

He feared he was the focus of a gangland vendetta.

After the firebugs struck, flames reached the couple’s detached house, destroying parts of it before spreading to a neighbouring property in May last year.

Graeme believed his life was deliberately put at risk.

Councillor Graeme Campbell and his wife Fiona outside their home after the attack (Image: East Kilbride News)

The councillor, who represents Avondale and Stonehouse, claimed he had been targeted over a case he had been working on as part of his role with the council.

However, 14 months after the shocking attack, police have wound up their investigation after failing to find any positive links to lead them to the criminals.

They vowed to act on any new information that may come to light in the future but have told Graeme they have “exhausted” all current lines of inquiry.

Graeme, wife Fiona and their teenage son were asleep in the house and were unaware their lives were at risk from the inferno. They were woken up when a passerby banged on their front door to raise the alarm.

The councillor, who was first elected in 2007, said he had been targeted by an unnamed crime gang but vowed to carry on in his public duties.

He took a three-month break from council work before returning last August, revealing he had considered stepping down and had received a phone call from then Prime Minister Theresa May urging him not to quit.

Councillor Graeme Campbell says he was targeted by a crime gang but has vowed to carry on in his public duties (Image: East Kilbride News)

After the attack, SNP councillor Ian Dickson was forced to apologise after suggesting Graeme was lying over claims he was the victim of a murder attempt.

At the time of the attack, Graeme said: “I believe I’ve been targeted by a criminal gang living and operating in this area and, quite frankly, it is disgusting and shocking. I will continue to support my constituents and continue to support this area no matter what happens.

Top news stories today

“This is not going to send me away, this is not going to shut me up.”

He was not available for comment yesterday.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “All lines of inquiry into this matter have now been exhausted and the victim has been made aware.

“However, any new information police receive will be thoroughly assessed and acted on as appropriate.”

Daily Record – Home