Devastating new images of Cameron House fire as bosses admit causing blaze

Devastating new images of the Cameron House fire show the charred remains left behind after the fatal blaze.

For the first time, pictures show inside destroyed wing of the luxury hotel on Loch Lomond following the aftermath of the early morning fire that claimed the lives of guests Simon Midgley, 32, and 38-year-old Richard Dyson.

The exterior walls are all that was left from the extensively damaged bedrooms, stairwell and hallway after an inferno ripped through the building on December 18, 2017, while guests slept in their beds.

Aerial shots from above show the extent of the damage
(Image: Crown Productions)

Images taken by a drone show the blackened remains of the tower.

Night porter Christopher O’Malley pleaded guilty to placing a bag of ash in a cupboard which led to the  fatal fire at the five-star resort over three years ago.

He admitted to the charge during a hearing last month but the details can only now be reported.

Rooms were completely destroyed in the inferno
(Image: Crown Productions)
Richard Dyson (L) and Simon Midgley
(Image: Internet Unknown)

Cameron House bosses today admitted safety failings which caused the fire after a hearing took place at Dumbarton Sheriff court.

Guilty pleas were entered on behalf of resort management to two charges detailing a list of failings to take the necessary fire safety measures to ensure the safety of employees between January 2016 and December, 18, 2017 including:

CCTV shows the moment the fire took hold from a downstairs cupboard
(Image: Crown Productions)

– having no safe procedures or equipment for removing ash from the open fires and disposing of it
– no formal training for staff for removing ash from open fires in the hotel.
– failing to keep cupboards containing potential ignition sources free of combustibles

Fire investigators concluded that just hours later, an ember or embers within the ashes melted into the black bag, igniting other items in the cupboard, including kindling, with the fire spreading to the rest of the building.

Over 200 guests were evacuated but Mr Midgley, 32, and Mr Dyson, 38, tragically died and were found lying in fire escape stairwells more than an hour after the alarm was raised.

The blaze claimed the lives of two guests
(Image: Crown Productions)

Mr Meehan told the court when emergency service arrived, “the situation was rapidly deteriorating and corridors, including designated fire escape pathways, were filling with smoke and fire gases.”

It wasn’t until after 8am that Mr Midgley and Mr Dyson were discovered to be missing and the information was passed to SFRS who carried out a search of their room only to find it was empty.

(Image: Crown Productions)

Top news stories today

Mr Dyson, who was unresponsive was found at the top of a staircase and crews carried him to a paramedic crew whose efforts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

He was taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley where doctors also unsuccessfully attempted to revive him.

Shortly afterwards, the fire fighters found Mr Midgley lying in a fire escape passageway behind the door to the landing where Mr Dyson had been.

Paramedics also carried out advanced life support techniques on him but they were unsuccessful and post-mortems later concluded they had died due to inhalation of smoke and fire gases.

Both Cameron House and O’Malley are to be sentenced next week.

The verdict comes just days before the third anniversary of the tragedy.

Daily Record – Home