Steven Gerrard makes Alfredo Morelos admission as Rangers brace for Lille bid

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard admits Alfredo Morelos “doesn’t look himself” as it’s reported Lille will make a new bid for the striker.

The Ligue 1 side had a bid rejected for El Bufalo earlier this month, later signing Jonathan David in a £27million deal from Gent.

According to the Daily Express though Rangers are bracing for a new bid as Lille look to beef up their attacking options.

And Morelos could sit out Saturday’s clash with Kilmarnock as his manager admits he isn’t in the right frame of mind.

Gerrard said: “It’s none of my business what Lille decide to do and how they go about their negotiations, strategies and plans with trying to buy players. I’m not really interested, my concern is here at Rangers.

(Image: Rangers FC/PA Images)

“I’m disappointed the player has had his head turned and doesn’t look himself. That’s the only thing I’m concerned about.

“But in terms of how Lille or anyone else go about their business in trying to get Alfredo’s services, it’s not in my control and I shouldn’t concern myself with it.”

It remains to be seen whether the French side will meet the £20million asking price for Morelos.

Club president Gerard Lopez said this week: “We have (bid £16m). He’s a good player, otherwise we wouldn’t bid for him but we had a primary target who was Jonathan David who we got and he fits into a certain system with a number of players already around him.

Rangers FC

“We have a transfer window which is longer than usual. The key thing for us now is to analyse how what we have comes together and that’s something the coach and Luis Campos are looking at before we make any other decisions.

“So yes, he’s a great player and yes we’ve made bids for him.”


Daily Record – Home